Opening day is May 3rd and there will soon be plenty of opportunities for volunteers of all interests! If you've thought about volunteering but haven't made the plunge then consider visiting our volunteering page to download the application and waiver. Now is a great time to send in your volunteer application as we can connect you to opportunities that match your interest as the season develops. Upcoming volunteer needs include:
- Waterfront volunteers on Saturdays and Sundays starting May 3rd.
- Volunteers to table and do outreach during events (Farmers Market, School Fairs, etc).
- Volunteers interested in helping prepare boats for the season (sail inspection, varnishing, scrubbing kayaks, etc).
Kayak Rentals for Ski-to-Sea Race
The Ski-to-Sea race is Sunday May 25 and we are currently taking kayak reservations for race day. We conveniently accept payment over the phone. A few details to make note of....
- We offer a Race Paddler Prep & Safety class for $75.
Be prepared for the race and know the skills to keep you safe and put your team ahead.
- All sea kayak renters MUST have prior experience performing a wet-exit and re-entry prior to using our kayaks on race day.
- Sorry, we do not rent canoes (check out Western Canoe & Kayak in Abbotsford, B.C.).
- Reservations must be paid in full by May 1 (Any boats reserved after May 1 must be paid at time of reservation).
- Boats will be assigned based on renter's height and weight mid-May.
- We charge $75 for race day rental (per our usual rate of $75/day).
- Your $75 rental includes: a sea kayak, life jacket, paddle, spray skirt, bilge pump, and paddle float.
- Paddle jackets, wetsuits, and drybags can be rented at $5/day for each item.
- We require a security deposit of $500 (written check) at the time of kayak pickup. As Ski-to-Sea is one of the few events when we rent our kayaks off-site, this provides protection for us against loss or damage of a boat. The deposit will be returned to you upon return of the rental in good condition.
- Boats can be picked between 1 - 7 pm the evening of the 24th (There is secure storage provided by Boy Scouts at Zuanich Park).
- For $15 we are offering transportation of kayaks and gear to Zuanich Park at 8pm on Saturday 5/24. Renter's must be available to receive their boat at that time.
- To reserve a kayak, or for questions, call us at 360-714-8891.
**Season Passes cannot be used towards Ski-to-Sea or Bellingham Traverse boat rentals.
Classes, Classes, and More Classes!
The website has been updated with our 2014 Winter and Summer class schedule. We're keeping and improving many of our tried and true classes, but have added a few new opportunities to the schedule as well. Some highlights below....
Rowing 101: Intro. to Sliding Seat Rowing
Rowing is one of the most effective aerobic exercises known. Similar to cycling, sliding seat rowing has a very low impact on joints and bones. If you want a total body work out and don't want to be in a sweaty gym, then rowing could be for you. In this 8-hour course basic skills and technique are learned at the dock and in the shelter of Harris Bay in Fairhaven. Having mastered the basics, students venture out onto Bellingham Bay under the guidance of the rowing instructor. Click here to read more and sign up online.
Keelboat 201: Intermediate Keelboat Sailing
You've seen the keelboats out on Bellingham Bay on Wednesday and Thursday nights, racing around marks almost until dark, and it has called to you. This 10 hour class will open up a new world of sailing to you, and is the absolute quickest way for you to further develop your sailing skills. Build on your basic keelboat sailing skills to be better prepared for more advanced day-sailing or crewing in a race. Click here to read more and sign up online.
Sea Kayaking 102: Wet Exit & Recovery Clinic
Successfull graduates of this class meet eligibility requirements for renting our sea kayaks. If you have experience sea kayaking but haven't had any training in performing a wet-exit or re-entry this is the class for you. Even if you've never been dumped in the water, practicing these skills before they are needed is a smart choice. Click here to read more and sign up online.
Boat Storage Available
We offer year-round storage for your sail or human-powered boat, conveniently next to the Fairhaven boat launch for those few fair boating days during the winter! Sailboats can be stored mast-up for quick launching when the wind is good and all storage customers have 24/7 access to their boat. Click here for full rates and more information or call 360-714-8891 to inquire about availability.
The CBC Crew